7 Super Easy Gut Health Recipes
Did you know that looking after your gut health can be easy and delicious?
Gut health is vital for overall health. As well as being essential for digestive health, your gut supports your immune health - over 70% of your immune system lives in your gut!1
Your gut is also linked to your brain by something called the gut-brain axis – did you know 95% of serotonin (the chemical that makes you feel happy) is produced in your gut?2
A great way to boost your gut health is to include probiotics in your diet, so we’ve compiled our easiest and tastiest good-gut recipes that are a treat for your taste buds and your tummy! AND all these gut health recipes are completely vegan.
We’ve broken them down into 3 sections for you:
- Delicious and nutritious drinks
- Gut-loving Snacks
#BiomelBreakfastsHere at Biomel, we love breakfast; it’s when you can use some of our best recipes for gut health to start the day on the right foot!
Breakfast is a great opportunity to add some fibre to your diet with oats, cereals and fruits as well as including probiotic-rich food and drinks like Biomel.
Fibre feeds the microbes in your gut. Including more of it in your diet creates a better environment for good bacteria to multiply and probiotics to thrive. Fibre can also help you feel fuller for longer, so a high-fibre breakfast is a great way to avoid mid-morning hunger!
Oat-rageoulsy Easy Overnight Oats
Prep time: 5 mins
Prepping breakfast the night before is a great way to save time in the mornings while still getting a filling, gut-friendly meal!
- ½ cup (50g) of oats
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 2 servings of Biomel
- A handful of nuts and berries
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Put your oats and chia seeds into a bowl, or container if you’re planning to eat on-the-go.
- Pour your favourite Biomel over the oats and seeds, so that they are completely covered. Natural Coconut is a great choice if you’re going to go all out on the toppings, or if you want to keep it simple then Dark Chocolate will make your oats even more delicious.
- Give it a good mix! The oats will soak up the Biomel overnight, so you want to make sure that they are mixed well.
- Cover your oats and keep them in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, add your toppings to the oats and stir in your peanut butter – this way they will stay nice and fresh
Epic Chocolate Orange Breakfast Bowl
Prep time: 10 mins
In the mood for an insta-worthy brekkie? Try your hand at creations like this!
- 1-2 servings of Dark Chocolate Biomel
- 1 large banana
- ½ an avocado or a handful of oats
- 1 tablespoon of nut butter
- Dried coconut
- Orange segments
- Add the Biomel, banana and your choice of avocado or oats to a blender. Both the avocado and the oats will help make this breakfast bowl nice and thick – if you want a little extra creaminess, we recommend the avocado, but the oats make it slightly more filling.
- Blend, blend, blend! 30 seconds should do the trick – you want a thick, smoothie-like texture.
- Pour your blend into a bowl and top with the juicy orange segments and sprinkle the dried coconut
- ‘Gram it! Share a picture of your gut-friendly breakfast recipe with us using #BiomelBreakfast
Upgrade your cereal
Prep time: 1 min
This has got to be the easiest gut health breakfast recipe!
- 1 serving of Biomel
- 1 serving of cereal
- All you need to do is pour a delicious Biomel over your bowl of cereal to add some good bacteria to your breakfast. Almond Salted Caramel is a great addition to level up a boring breakfast.
LOVE YOUR GUT TIP: chose a high fibre cereal or granola – these are great prebiotic foods (a type of fibre) and will show your gut some extra love.
Delicious and nutritious drinks
There are loads of smoothie and juice recipes for gut health out there; it’s a great way to boost your gut health! Our Super Green Smoothie is quick and easy to make, and our gut-friendly Iced Mocha will help you keep healthy and cool.
Super Greens Smoothie
Prep time: 2 mins
This is one of our favourite recipes for good gut health! It’s so quick to make and is packed full of delicious and nutritious ingredients.
- 2 cups of spinach or kale (or a mix of both)
- 2 servings of Pure Vanilla Biomel
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup (you can also use honey, but we’ve chosen maple syrup to keep this smoothie a vegan recipe for gut health)
- Add all your ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy… we told you it would be easy!
LOVE YOUR GUT TIP: If you’re going to use a straw for your smoothie, go for a reusable one! You can get them in stainless steel or bamboo – a great way to love your planet while you love your gut.
Prep time: 5 mins
Stay cool with an iced mocha full of good gut bacteria! You can even try swapping out Chocolate for Pure Vanilla to make your own Vanilla latte.
- 1-2 espresso shots of freshly brewed espresso (30- 60ml)
- A handful of ice cubes
- 1 serving of Dark Chocolate Biomel
- Your choice of sweetener (to taste)
- Brew your coffee and while it is still hot, add in sweetener to taste.
- Leave the coffee to cool slightly for 2 minutes, while you fill your glass with ice cubes.
- Pour the coffee over the ice cubes
- Add your cold Biomel to the glass and stir
LOVE YOUR GUT TIP: make sure you cool down your coffee before you add Biomel. If the coffee is too hot when you add Biomel you might kill the good bacteria! It will still be just as delicious but not as effective for a healthy gut.
Everyone loves a snack, and your gut loves a Biomel snack!
The billions of live active cultures in each serving of Biomel help support your digestive system and immune system - we always knew snacking was good for us!
Tropical Banana Nice Cream
Prep time: 10 mins
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 serving of Natural Coconut Biomel
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Add all your ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- As you blend, you’ll notice the ingredients become thick and creamy just like ice cream! If you want your nice cream a little thicker, just add more banana.
- Pour your nice cream into a bowl and add toppings. You could even turn it into gut-loving breakfast by adding granola!
Prep time: 0 mins
Of course, you can always enjoy a delicious Biomel all on its own.
We know that if you’re going to drink something every day, it needs to taste good. So, we made sure Biomel was absolutely delicious (you don’t have to take our word for it – we are award-winning!). Biomel comes in 4 mouth-watering flavours; Dark Chocolate, Almond Salted Caramel, Pure Vanilla and Natural Coconut.
Biomel is not just delicious, it’s effective at supporting your gut health too. We use billions of live active cultures and carefully selected ingredients that are delicious and proven to support digestive and immune health, including vitamins B6, D, Calcium.3
1. G. Vighi, et al. Allergy and the gastrointestinal system. Clin Exp Immunol. 2008 Sep. 153(Suppl 1): 3-6.
2. Adam Hadhazy. Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being. Scientific American. Feb 12 2010.
3. Including billions of live active cultures and vitamins B6 and D to support the normal function of the immune system and calcium to support the normal function of digestive enzymes.